Yo, what’s good? My name is Dan and today we’re talking about one of the biggest obsessions in the cannabis community – purple buds. These bad boys are known for their high quality, bold terpenes, and extreme potency. Purple strains have been around since the beginning of time, and they’re still super popular to this day.
But yo, have you ever heard of anthocyanins? They’re water-soluble pigments that produce a wide variety of red, blue and purple hues throughout the flowering stage of cannabis plants. Basically, when you see Blackberry Kush or Panama Red with purple or reddish colors, it’s because of these anthocyanins. And it’s not just weed – fruits like blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries also have high concentrations of anthocyanins.
So what affects the anthocyanins in cannabis plants? Two things: climate and genetics. The colder the temperature during the flowering stage, the more likely the plant is to produce those beautiful purple hues. But not all cannabis plants can handle cold weather, which is why most purple strains are indica-dominant. Indica strains can be traced back to Afghan landrace genetics and they love a continental climate.
Now if you want to know about some fire purple strains, I got you covered. Check out this list:
1. Purple Bud – This world-renowned indica-dominant strain was created from crossing an Afghan-Jamaican with California Purple Kush. It’s got an iconic terpene profile that includes myrcene and caryophyllene, with sweet pine and sandalwood notes followed by fresh berry undertones. The effects start with a cerebral high before turning into a full-body stone.
2. Granddaddy Purple – This indica was created by breeding Purple Urkle with Big Bud and has won numerous cannabis cups. It’s got an earthy aroma with sweet grape flavors dominant in myrcene, pinene, and caryophyllene. The effects will leave you feeling relaxed and lethargic.
3. Purple Haze – This 80% sativa, 20% indica hybrid is named after the legendary Jimi Hendrix song of 1967. Its aroma has earthy notes with sweet berries and lavender undertones. The flavor is sweet and sour thanks to high amounts of myrcene, caryophyllene, and limonene. The effects will leave you feeling uplifted and energetic.
4. Blackberry Kush – This indica-dominant hybrid was created by crossing Afghani and Blackberry strains. It’s got sweet and sour citrus notes with hints of cream and spice. The effects are relaxing but also boost creativity in the mind.
5. Mendocino Purple – This strain has exceptional quality and has won many cannabis awards including High Times’ Strain of the Year in 2007. Its terpene profile is earthy with dessert-like berry sweetness dominant in Afghan genetics.
6. Purple Skunk – This newly-bred Kush has skunky and earthy terpenes combined with sugary sweetness. The effects will leave you feeling uplifted and motivated throughout the day. If you like skunky weed but would rather have it purple, this one’s for you!
7. Purple Urkle – This strain has been around since the 1980s and is known for its full-bodied flavor and potent effects. It’s got dank musky notes with fresh grape and berry undertones. Many stoners have heard how dank that Purple Urkle be, don’t miss out on this one!
8. Purple Kush – This heavy-hitting indica-dominant strain has a sweet, grape-like profile with subtle notes of fresh lemons that will remind your sense of luxurious deserts. A California original, Purple Kush is among the most iconic American purple weed strains.
9. Purple Punch – This indica-dominant strain is a cross of Graddaddy Purple and Larry OG. This premium bud is rich with floral notes, earthy undertones, and hints of sweet pine. It’s boasting both high yield and high quality.
So there you have it homies! These are some fire purple strains that you gotta try at least once in your life. Let us know if we missed any dope strains in the comments below! And remember to always check your local laws regarding cannabis cultivation before doing anything illegal!