After a bit of frustration looking for a hose (and finding it in the obvious place — which would be where we bought the pump we needed to connect the hose to), we finally got everything we needed to finish off our first aquaponics tank made from an IBC. A little fiddling here and there and it was ready to plug in.
My husband’s accent is cooler than mine, so he did the honors of narrating.
We have since thrown in a couple goldfish which seem to be doing well. It of course got very cold as soon as we had something living in the tank. The current is strong enough to keep it from freezing, but I’m not sure the little feeder goldfish like these nighlty lows in the 20’s.
We also had some problem with water spraying out of the tank. I found a spot in the irrigation system in the grow bed where the water was hitting the side and just enough sprayed up to dampen the outside of the grow bed. I buried that section in gravel and it was dry in the morning. The water draining back in the tank also splashes just enough to get some out of the tank. I have that fixed with a small skirt to guide the water back in the tank for the moment, but we need to work on that a little, too.
We ordered the pumps for the rest of the tanks and are looking into getting the lighting hooked up soon. If all goes as planned, I may plant our first lettuces by the end of next week when it is supposed to start feeling like spring!