What happened

Deep breath.

I can do this.

I actually have already a few times. The first several times, I know the person on the other end of the line couldn’t decipher anything through my sobs. Fortunately, they were all gracious enough to express their condolences without asking me to go through it all again.

It was a horrible, horrible accident and I’m still stuck replaying all the decisions I could have made differently that might have left my energetic little boy here in my arms, dispersing my dishes about the house, sneaking fruit out of the refrigerator and eating the tips off markers any chance he got. And it is only beginning to sink in how much worse it could have been.

Friday was such a windy day. 45 mile an hour gusts. We had an extension on our chimney with a draft inducing cap on top and the wind caught it and took it down with a crash. I was so glad I don’t let the children play outside on windy days. See, we have some loose tin on one of the barns and I’m terrified the wind will bring it down.

John went up but there wasn’t much he could do other than make sure that the chimney wasn’t damaged to the point of being unusable. It was bitterly cold. Windchill that night was expected to reach minus 25. The men from the volunteer fire department who were first to arrive would leave the basement door open, causing all our pipes to freeze and break. It wasn’t a night we could go without heat.

But that caused some challenges. The stove didn’t have enough draft so the smoke started coming into the house. Flames shot out the front and scared me to death. I had the older children help me clear the area of anything flammable. I swept the hearth to make sure there weren’t any pellets or bark near the stove to catch fire and was so thankful John had been called to a job in Lincoln. I could stay up most of the night until he got home in order to babysit the stove. I got the fire extinguisher out and re-read the directions to make sure I knew how to use it.

It was bedtime, but the children were rather excited about the whole thing. I also didn’t want them breathing all the smoke. They asked for a family movie night. At first I said no, but then I thought they could get out their sleeping bags, watch a movie and hopefully fall asleep without any bedtime struggle since I really didn’t want to leave the stove.

Plus I figured if the house did catch fire, that put them all in one place. Since the first time I set the smoke detector off in the middle of the night without so much as a flinch from the children, I’ve been terrified about how on earth I would rescue six children on my own.

I finally got the smoke cleared and the stove heated up enough that the heat of the air started the drafting in the right direction. I checked on the children and they were all sitting, enjoying their show. I decided to go ahead and put the baby to bed and see how the stove was doing before maybe joining them for awhile.

As he was falling asleep, Tiggy and Ellie came up and started wrestling and jumping around on my bed. I played for a minute, let Tiggy shower the baby with his sweet little kisses but that is an amazingly difficult way to get a baby to sleep.

“Why don’t you go back downstairs and watch the movie with Koko?”

I will regret those words for the rest of my life. Over and over in my mind I keep him. Let him stay up. Let him bounce on the bed. Let the baby be awake until Tiggy bounced himself out of energy and fell asleep.

He was such a good little boy. He obeyed immediately.

I laid the baby down.

The phone rang. It was John. I had called him about the stove but it was under control now.

I heard a crash, dropped the phone and ran to the basement.

“Tiggy!”

I heard my daughter scream.

She and my son were standing there, doing their best to hold up a dresser.

A heavy dresser.

A sturdy dresser.

Nothing like what you’ll ever find at WalMart or Nebraska Furniture Mart.

I loved that dresser because it was sturdy. Hardwood, and the drawers were even made of wood, not that balsa-like material in our other drawers.

I hate that dresser. And the television we set on it because it was the most sturdy piece of furniture we own.

When the dresser started to tip, my twelve year old went for it. She was scratched by her puppy who was frantically trying to get out of the way. She was hit by a television. Still, she went toward the dresser and tried to catch it.

My three year old was hit. She has a dresser-knob shaped circle on her ankle and some bruising on her leg. She didn’t so much as shed a tear. I wouldn’t find out anyone but Mattias had been hurt until we were at the hospital and I came out to tell them how Tiggy was doing and try to calm them down a little.

And the dresser my husband had pushed and shook and stood on when we bought it to make sure it could take some climbing landed on my little Tiggy, cracking his head against the concrete floor. I don’t remember getting from the stairs to him. I only remember kneeling over him, the weight of the dresser on my back and screaming.

“Call 911!”

I shouted and my daughter was already running with the phone. I didn’t make a lot of sense, I don’t think. I said my address over and over as clearly as I could, but the lady on the other end wanted to know what happened. I remember screaming about my baby and blood and just screaming before taking a deep breath and repeating my address. She reassured me an ambulance was on the way. She had my address. But when help arrived, all they understood was that there had been an accident and a baby was involved.

I was panicking. I thought blood was coming from his eyes, nose and ear. I didn’t think there was any way he would live long enough for the ambulance to get there. I called my husband and told him he had to come home. Tiggy was dying. I was so incredibly thankful he had been called to a job in Lincoln. He stepped off the train, told his train crew  he needed to go and got in the car. About an hour later, he was at the hospital. Normally, it would have taken several hours to get off the train in some outlying area, wait for a bus and so forth.

When the paramedics did finally arrive and I listened to them describe the injuries, I realized all the blood was coming from a cut above his nose.

For a moment, I could breathe. For a moment, I thought maybe he would make it.

One of the men from the volunteer fire department drove me and all the children to the hospital. The same man who dug out our whole road when our mini van fell in the ditch. The same man who advised me about the dangers of winter, the need for an alternate heat source and the need for food and water stores. The same man who put our little grass fire out. And the same man who re-graded our road after the fire.

We got to the hospital and Mattias was still alive. He was responding to pain. He had a bite reflex.

I thought maybe. Maybe there was a chance. But he was so little and that dresser was so heavy. I wanted to be in the room with him. Holding him. Talking to him. But I didn’t want to be in the way. I didn’t want to distract anyone if I screamed. I didn’t want to take nurses away if I collapsed. I knew this might be the last I saw him alive and I had to fight all my maternal drive to be with him to give him the best possible medical attention he could get.

They wanted him at the Children’s Hospital in Omaha but Life Flight wasn’t flying. The sheriff was checking to see if the roads were open. They were. They began preparing him for transport. I told my parents Omaha and they left their home in Kansas. Omaha called and said he needed to be at a trauma center. Lincoln would be best. I figured my parents would figure it out. My husband arrived.

My children were taken to someone’s house.

We left for Lincoln. An hour drive in good weather. It took us a little longer. It took them 40 minutes.

But when we got there, Tiggy was still alive. Getting a CT scan. We sat in a room with a nurse offering drinks and heated blankets. John wrapped me, practically swaddled me, while she discussed their respite rooms and that we could stay there at the hospital.

The CT scan was not good. Severe fracture to the skull. Severe brain trauma. They described the surgery and the risks. They wanted to make sure I understood the risks and I wanted to yell at them for talking to me when they could be getting started.

We were led out to the hall and told what we were to see as Tiggy would be carted from the intake room to surgery. They paused with the cart so we could see and talk with him ever so briefly before continuing the dash to surgery. Something in me knew it was goodbye. But I kissed him ever so lightly on the forehead because I was terrified of hurting him.

“I love you, Tiggy! Be a good boy.”

And they took him. The last thing I heard as he went through the door was one of the nurses informing the surgeon that his blood pressure was improving.

And again I had a glimmer of hope that would flicker faintly for another hour before we knew for sure.

He had held on for five hours.

He was a fighter. Strong and sweet and full of a life that could not be easily taken. He hung on long enough for my husband to see him, so my husband and I could be together to see him for the last time.

His funeral is tomorrow and I’ll hopefully share a little slide show if anyone wants to see snapshots of his little life that was far too short. (Update: The slide show is posted.)

In the meantime, take a look around your home. Not just at bathtubs and outlets and choking hazards for we always emptied the bathtub and had the bathroom door closed; we cut his grapes and hot dogs in half so he wouldn’t choke; we did everything we could so we urge you take a long hard look at the things you never thought about before. The things you thought were sturdy and secure. The old, heirloom pieces of furniture that seem so very sturdy. I climbed that dresser once to fix a curtain. I never would have thought it would fall. I know you can’t bubble wrap the world, but right now, I’m in the mood to try.

Please, check your homes because the everyday ordinary may not be as safe as you envisioned.

And hug your little babies. I hope and pray you never know how much you can miss all their little mischiefs.

This entry was posted in family, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

647 Responses to What happened

1. Karen says:

You and your family are on my heart tonight as I read your story. I have two precious daughters (4 & 6) and I just want to go and wake them both and squeeze them tight after reading your tragic story. Loss is never easy to bear, no matter what the circumstances, and I am comforted that you know GOD and can experience HIS LOVE to hold and sustain you and your precious family during this unbelievable loss.

Thank you for your courage to share your story and to find ways to honor your precious son’s memory.

God love you,
    Karen

2. Pingback: 31 Days of Encouragement: {Day 20} In Which We Encourage One Other

3. Pingback: In ‘Other’ Words: He is the More | Writing Canvas

4. Becky Loflin says:

Dear Dana, I am so sorry for the loss of your precious son. You have my heartfelt sympathy. I know the love a mother has for her son. I, too am a bereaved mother. The pain is unbearable, and somedays I don’t even want to get out of bed even though I never sleep. Today, my son has been gone 18 months and 13 days. I will never believe it gets better with time as alot of folks like to tell me. I miss him more each day. My son was 34 years old. He lived next door to me and his daddy. His name is Marty. He was told by a dr he needed an aortic valve replacement. He had never had any symptoms and was healthy and beautiful. Marty was proactive in doing this even while I questioned it. A cardiovascular surgeon perfomed the surgery on January 6th 2010. Marty died January 19th, 2010. He was in a coma following the surgery. I have so many questions with no answers and absolutely no compassion from the dr or hospital where the surgery occurred. The dr no longer practices in NC – but is in Alabama. I hope anyone who is told by a dr they need surgery and spends time with the patient telling them that it is routine and “textbook” walks away and looks for help somewhere else. The dr that did this continues to practice and I am sure enjoys life, where our life is upside down and will be for the rest of our days. Its a miserable way to have to live, but more than the pain I and my husband experience each day. The real pain is knowing Marty is not walking this earth enjoying his life and the two little girls he left behind.

5. Pingback: Roscommon Acres » Blog Archive » It’s OK to make me cry

6. Pingback: May I be your friend? « Gifted through Grace

7. Rhonda says:

Tears falling from my eyes. My heart aches for you and little Tiggy. I will, I will look at all of my things in my house. I KNOW I have tall bookshelves that have been moved and not anchored to wall. I have a young 4 year old and 20 month old. I will look, Dana. My heart aches, oh how it aches, for you.

8. Amy says:

God Bless you and your precious children. I am so very very sorry about your Tiggy. What a precious boy and what a precious family you have.

may God give you the strength to carry on.

9. Kristine says:

I stumbled upon this site because I am wrestling with the decision that I made sending my daughter back to school. Today was a terrible day and she felt awful. Tonight your story shouted to my heart. I pray for you and your family.

10. Pingback: Adventures in Babyproofing

11. Pingback: cherry tree

12. Pingback: Spurred Into Action »

13. Pingback: Failure Is Never Final - Spurred Into Action

14. Pingback: wheelchair steplifts

15. Pingback: Spurred Into Action - Failure Is Never Final

16. Pingback: educational websites, maths homework, educational sites, educational websites for childres

17. Pingback: Michelle Beadle Nude

18. Pingback: easy math for kids

19. Pingback: lisseur pas cher

20. Pingback: Reasons Why You Should Acquire the Appropriate Walking Cane Accessories What are walking Cane accessories? The walking stick accessories (or cane accessories) are not ‘accessories’ in the strict sense of the word. They are instead some vital devices t

21. Pingback: Girl Swept Away by 2004 Tsunami Reunited With Family

22. Pingback: free online streaming adult video

23. Pingback: Unblock Games at School|Unblock MySpace at School|Unblock Internet Sites|Unblock Blocked Sites|Unknown Unblock Sites|Unblock MySpace at School codes|Access Blocked Sites|Unblock MySpace without Using Proxy

24. Kelly says:

I sit here with tears streaming down my face, I am so sorry for your loss, the heartache you must feel, the what ifs that you probably thought. I am so sorry. My God wrap his arms around all of you.

25. Pingback: ukrainian tara

26. Pingback: I can not imagine | Daze of Adventure

27. Pingback: Pc urgence

28. Pingback: metal equipment

29. Pingback: Programmable Coffeemaker

30. Pingback: internet marketing

31. Pingback: Alcoholic Beverages

32. Pingback: Electric Blanket

33. Pingback: Peters Chemical Company is one of the leading suppliers of industrial and chemical lime (calcium oxide and calcium hydroxide and lime kiln dust) and agicultural limestone (PCC Agricultural Limesstone) in the Northeast. We carry a full line of ice melters,

34. Pingback: Childrens health

35. Pingback: New child

36. Pingback: Mother’s Bracelet {Giveaway}

37. I read your post today not sure of what really to say. I am so sorry. I have never read your blog before today but I must have shown it by the grace of GOD. The post has sat in my head all day long.
    I went upstairs to put my 2 year old to bed only to find his large changing table flipped over. He must have done it when he was playing earlier in the day. (this was never the piece in his room I was worried about him flipping over) I told my husband about this post. He went and got stuff to secure the room.
    Thank you for sharing your story. I may have not thought to secure the room.
    I hope that your heart find comfort one day.. I am so sorry…

38. Pingback: Praying for fellow homeschool mom, Dana, who buried her 22 month old son » Fun Days with Curious Kids

39. i am crying tears for you. we lost our 14 month old son 1 month ago, no mother should ever have to endure this pain. sending you so much love, Chelsea

40. Pingback: Right Start Blog | Baby Proofing…Don’t forget the furniture!

41. Pingback: Weekly Wrap Up~December 16 - Mama Kautz

42. Pingback: Right Start Blog | A $5 furniture strap prevented a possible tragedy!

43. Pingback: Food and Real Regret - Swim Bike Mom

44. As you are able to somehow collect an example and deliver it in for analysis? . I would like to know exactly what this chemical is.. . It is so bad, that though you can not overtly smell it, eventually everyone feels it inside their sinuses and lungs and they experience sickly from it. We also consider moving and your house is mid-renovation, in order that is how much it is affecting us. . . The fireplace is among these large architectural chimneys, so tearing it out isn’t an option..

45. vitamix says:

There’s no doubt that every one of the tips you have presented for the posting. They may be extremely effective and may surely do the job. Still, this threads are certainly quick firstly. May possibly you please prolong them a little via the very next time? Thanks for the actual posting.

46. nance says:

I happened upon your blog. words to not describe, my heart is with you and your family as are my tears

47. Agnes says:

I came across your blog today, as we are thinking of moving to the country for similar reasons you quoted and we’re homeschooling and maybe I just needed some encouragement. I really appreciated reading about your family and insights.
    And then I read about your little Tiggy. I cannot even begin to fathom the pain. I cried and cried, I still am. I just wanted to say how sorry I am, the ultimate fear of a parent that you had to go through and will always go through. For his brothers and sisters who will live without his daily presence. I am so sorry.
    We recently lost our little boy Noah @ 17 weeks gestation and that was so immensely painful and still is. So to even comprehend your pain a tiny little bit just makes the tears flow. Because while loosing our son was excruciating, it does not even begin to compare to the enormity of you loosing your little Tiggy. I’m right on the other side of the Pacific Ocean in New Zealand, but we serve the same God and I am thankful for your words, sharing your son’s life with us and putting your all into your children. I’ll be following this blog for certain. Thank you.